Effective Business Writing
In our digital world, business, from the initial contact to closing the deal, is often handled on-line. How much time do you waste each day translating from your native language to answer or send important emails in English? Worse, how many emails do you avoid writing, and risk losing valuable business?
- English is known for its simplicity and conciseness. Filter your text – learn to write simple English and less of it.
- Use action verbs: English is verb-driven and your most important emails require action
- Write for your reader, not for yourself: what does your reader need to know?
- Get your reader’s attention in the first line of your email
- Set the right tone: casual or formal; when to use Dear, Hello, Hi and end with Sincerely, Regards or Best
- Master the mechanics of punctuation to clarify your writing
- Aim for conciseness: replace long, wordy texts with short, sharp bullet points